Locating information related to old buildings in townships is very difficult.The Fish Hill Tavern in the Town of Mansfield has held interest for many years as one of the resting stops on the Old Chautauqua Road. This article from the viewpoint of Mr. Windsor is another tale of the area.
This house, long known as “Fish Tavern” was built in the early 1800’s by Nathaniel Fish, who came here from Sandwich, Mass., March 1, 1812. Shortly thereafter he built this house and opened it as an inn or place of entertainment, the first in the town of Mansfield, then named Cecilius.
This house, the first frame house to built in the town of Mansfield, being located on the Chautauqua Road, was a welcome haven of rest for many a weary traveler moving west during the “Great Migration”.
This is a photo of the Miller Block in the village of Allegany that was built by John Miller in 1883.Photo circa 1893-96. The buildings are still there, minus the 3rd floor that was lost to fire in the 1920s. Picture submitted by F. Potter
The History of Cattaraugus County by Everts 1879 describes the Valley of Zoar as containing from 800 to 1000 acres of bottom lands, situated along both sides of Cattaraugus Creek, and in the southwest part of the Town of Collins [in Erie County], the northeast part of the Town of Otto, and the northwest corner of East Otto.
This obituary was found while I was doing family history research. Unfortunately it was submitted without identifying the source. While Mr. Lenoard is described as an East Otto native son, it should be noted he lived in the Towns of Mansfield and Little Valley as well as several states.
November 2, 1934, East Otto: The body of Sidney Leonard 89, last survivor of East Otto's native sons who took part in the Civil War was brought to the East Otto cemetery Thursday for burial, preceded by funeral services at the home of his daughter, Mrs. Bell Blackman, New Albion.
In the town of Mansfield we are fortunate that one of the residents saved memorabilia. The museum now has possession of several "shool souvenir" booklets that Mae collected through her years in the one room school house. These are small cardboard printed items sometimes with pages containing poems and the list of students for the school year. The tiny booklet is about 2 inches by 3 inches and lists the school, teacher and students as well as a trustee, or other official.
One of the early settlers of the town of Mansfield, was born in Marcullus, Onondaga Co., NY, March 28, 1801, he being the fourth child and second son in a family of twelve children of Medad and Anar (Buell) Harvey. His parents were natives of New England.
In 1807, the Allegheny River, by law, was made a public highway. The first raft ran from Olean Point down river to Pittsburg, PA. This momentous event led ironically to both the development and underdevelopment of the southern portion of Cattaraugus County.
The Holland Land Company purchased over 3 million acres of land west of the Genesee River during the 1790s. Joseph Ellicott (1760-1826) was appointed as the Holland Land Company local agent out of Batavia, NY. Joseph was trained as a surveyor by his brother Andrew who had surveyed Washington, DC.
Where are the old schoolhouses? There are more than 170 common (elementary mostly one room school buildings) remaining in Cattaraugus County. We would like to compile them into a brochure to make them accessible to everyone; however, many are now private residences.
Peter Ten Broeck, without an heir to his fortune, and having passed the meridian of his life, had for a long time contemplated and finally planned to bestow his wealth so that it might do the greatest good to the greatest number, and establish imperishable honor to his name. As fast as his estate could be turned into ready means, he had decreed that the balance be expended in an endowment and construction of a literary institution known as “Ten Broeck Free Academy.” In his last will and testament, after providing certain sums of money to relatives and friends, the balance of his estate am
When a pioneer farmer in the early 1800’s arrived at his recently acquired property, the first thing that he saw was trees. He would cut the trees to build a cabin, a barn, storage building and fences. However, there were still countless trees left. Then he would start to clear land for meadows. He needed open fields to plant crops and raise his livestock. So he continued cutting down trees and burning them to ashes.