Articles

Plank Road House, Great Valley, NY
Tags:
Themes
Transportation
Roads
Tag Municipality:
Great Valley

 The Plank Road in Great Valley, NY was one of the first roads through Cattaraugus County.  Named as such for the planks of wood that were used to construct the road.

The "Drug" Store in 1913
Tags:
Place
Nostaglic Place
Industry
Medical
Tag Municipality:
East Otto

 Trash and Treasure, the newest business to open really adds a touch of nostalgia to the area. Anyone who grew up in East Otto always saw this building as an active part of the community. The photo of the building was taken in 1913.

Tags:
Themes
Transportation
Roads
Tag Municipality:
Cattaraugus County

 

The Roads of Cattaraugus County

Tags:
People
People of the Underground Railroad
Themes
Underground Railroad
Tag Municipality:
Ellicottville

Both Everts 1879 and Adams 1893 History of Cattaraugus County, New York recounts the formation of an Anti-Slavery Society in the village of Ellicottville in 1836 which caused quite a stir.  Despite the fact that Adams noted that the conservative population of the village outnumbered the anti-slavery element 50 to 1, it is apparent that the society continued on its mission.

In September of 1839, the following notice was published in the Cattaraugus Republican (Ellicottville) Newspaper:

Then
Tags:
Place
Nostaglic Place
Tag Municipality:
Allegany

Allegany, New York

This building started in 1886 as Frederick Smith, Dry Goods.  It later became Edward Smith General Merchandise where a delivery of groceries to Vandalia in Ed Smith's time involved an overnight stay before the return trip to Allegany. 

Next cam Smith & Scultz General Merchandise, owned by two employees of Ed Smith, Clarence Smith and Howard Schultz.  Smith's Department Store, owned by Clarence Smith followed then it was sold to Tom Geary, who ran Geary's Early American Shop, where he sold furniture. 

Dye Brothers Bank
Tags:
Place
Nostaglic Place
Tag Municipality:
Allegany

Allegany, New York

This building began as the Dye Brothers Bank in 1890.  Then it became the First National Bank, then the Allegany Meat Market owned by Frank Seyller.  Later is turned into the Dornow Pharmacy, first owned by Karl Dornow and then by his son, Edwin Dornow, and his wife, Muriel.  During this time there was a two-lane bowling alley on the second floo.  Many of the local boys worked as pin spotters.  This is depicted in the second photo above. 

Old photo and article
Tags:
Place
Nostaglic Place
Tag Municipality:
Hinsdale

 

Crosby Dairy, currently Corner Café or Valero, route 16 Hinsdale. Today, many from the Olean area know Crosby's as a place to get a great ice-cream cone or milkshake, like years ago.  Emmet Crosby and his son, Howard Crosby formed the Crosby Dairy Co. in 1921 at the farm on Gile Hollow Rd.  In May 1932 a modern plant on route 16 opened where they produced milk, buttermilk, cottage cheese, American cheese and ice cream.  Howard Crosby sold Crosby Dairy in 1966 to Sunnybrook Dairy. 
The cemetery
Tags:
Place
Cemetery
Tag Municipality:
Olean

From the Olean Historical and Preservation Society:

In lieu of Bernie Pire's feature story (she's been helping out her former employer), we have a paper written by Josh Rogers, an Olean High Junior.  He has kindly allowed us to print it here. 

Tags:
Place
Nostaglic Place
Recreation
Tag Municipality:
Delevan (Village)
Portville
Yorkshire

Cattaraugus county was formed in 1808 from Genesee County and named "Town of
Olean".  Under the act of its formation, Cattaraugus County was provisionally
annexed to Niagara County until there were 500 taxable residents qualified to
vote for members of the NY Assembly.  In 1812, for judicial purposes and convenience
of the inhabitants, the eastern portion of the County was annexed to

Tags:
Folklore
Seneca Nation of Indians
Tag Municipality:
Salamanca
Tags:
People
Women
Tag Municipality:
Olean

Linda Witte's expertise spans health care, government and community organization.  Her resume boasts a long history of community leadership, service and participation, and her past and present focus includes healthcare accessibility and management, fiscal accountability and responsibility, and economic viability for the Southern Tier. 

Miss Julia Pierce
Tags:
People
Women
Tag Municipality:
Allegany
Olean

Miss Pierce was born in Humphrey in 1880.  She graduated from Allegany High School in 1900, and later  graduated from Alfred University as a teacher.  She first taught in Hornell and later in Herkimer and Gloversville.  She then became associated with the biology department of the Paterson, N.J. high school and continued there until her retirement from teaching in 1942.  She then returned to Allegany and began another career in community service. 
 

Tags:
People
Women
Tag Municipality:
Franklinville

The campaign for President of the United States and the election in the year 2008 was an historic one for women.  A woman came very close to being the candidate for President on the Democratic ticket while another woman was chosen to represent the Republican Party for Vice President. 

Tags:
People
Women
Tag Municipality:
Franklinville

Miss Jessie McCaa of Franklinville became the only lady mail carrier in the United States as a result of a recent ruling of the Post Office Department.  She was demoted on account of her sex when the local post office went under a city carrier system.  Her many friends and patrons protested so vehemently that the Washington authorities reconsidered their ruling and allowed her to contrinue work.  This appeared under her picture in THE CHRONICLE in February 1927. 

Tag Municipality:
Randolph

Solomon Nichols (1796 – 1890) appears as “Col.

Tags:
Underground Railroad
Tag Municipality:
Hinsdale
Scotts Corners

Hollis Scott store located at Scotts Corners, Hinsdale reported to be a stop on the Underground Railroad.

Tags:
Underground Railroad
Tag Municipality:
Cattaraugus County

This article was written in 1962 by Bill Lamale for the Buffalo Courier Express and found on the fultonhistory.com website. It must be regarded as oral history, however, it gives us the story of Alfred Rice that has been repeatedly told in many articles through the years.  The Rice family lived past the border of Cattaraugus County. It has been said they were a strong connection to Cattaraugus County's "railway", often coming into the Franklinville, Cadiz area to pick up passengers. 

Pages

Subscribe to Articles