The Great Valley Hotel, built about 1838, was also known through the years as the Plank Road House by Able Hicks, the Halfway House on the northern stagecoach route, The Fenton Hotel, and The Harrison House. A fire in the late 1800's caused the removal of the back wing.
In 1926, Minnie L Taylor bought and remodeled the house and it became known as The Evergreen Tea Room. The restaurant was a popular spot for bridge clubs, school reunions, bridal showers and wedding parties.
In 1926, Minnie L Taylor bought and remodeled the house and it became known as The Evergreen Tea Room. The restaurant was a popular spot for bridge clubs, school reunions, bridal showers and wedding parties. People visiting from all over the world came and ate at the "Tea Room", shown by the ledger books we still have in our lobby.
Petite and capable, Minnie was a great cook. Specialties included steaks, fried chicken, roast pork, several side dishes and pastries and pies of all kinds. In 1946 all specialties were $1.50 a plate! More changes to the structure included removing the large wrap - around porch.
By the 1950's, the house was owned by Minnie's son Robert and his wife Charlotte. They lived in and ran the house as "Taylor's Tourist Home". Minnie lived with them until her passing in the late 1950's. The house was open to hunters in the fall, serving a hearty breakfast. When the ski industry developed, a need for housing in the early 1960's arose, the Taylor's opened the home for seasonal rentals. As their daughters grew and left home, there were more rooms to rent out. They continued hosting guests until the mid 1990's.
In 2006 the youngest child, Judy, and her husband Jeff Zariczny, bought the house. They remodeled for the next 20 months updating the plumbing electrical, kitchen, bathrooms, windows, doors and insulation, while keeping the feel of the age of the house, but providing safety and comfort.
May 16, 2008 was the official opening of our Bed and Breakfast, now known officially as "The Evergreen Tea Room and Guest House".
We hope that our guests enjoy our new and old gardens, fresh fruit in season, comfortable rooms, restful atmosphere, usable antiques, cozy parlor fireplace, made to order breakfasts, modern conveniences and the beautiful scenery of our lovely "Enchanted Mountains" of Western New York.
This site joins other nostalgic places in Cattaraugus County. It is hard to calculate the number of visitors that the building has accommodated through the years.
The tree described below is pictured:
Directly behind our house is a rare Camperdown Elm Tree, grafted and planted by Judy's grandfather in 1926. Most people call it an umbrella tree. We work hard to make the flower gardens, lawns and grounds comfortable and beautiful.
Please visit their website: http://www.evergreentearoom.com/history.html