The original Town of Ischua, an Indian name, encompassed the entire northern half
of the County, and was formed from the Town of Olean in 1812.  Following several
splits in (1814, 1820, and 1821), the original Town of Ischua's name was altered
to be known as Franklinville and comprised today's Towns of Frankinville and
Lyndon in 1824.  At that point in time the Town named Ischua ceased to exist in
Cattaraugus county.