There has been some confusion as to the formation of the Town of Franklinville
because of statements which appeared in the State Gazetteer of 1861 and the
County Gazetteer of 1874 which read "Franklinville was formed from Olean, June
16, 1812, as "Hebe".  Its name was changed to Ischua, April 17, 1816.  The
following sequence is correct: Cattaraugus County was originally set off from
Genesee County in 1808 and called Olean.  In 1812, Olean was divided which resulted
in the formation of Olean and Ischua.  In 1814, Olean and Ischua were