The US has not always been a nation of right-handed drivers. Earlier in the history of the US carriage and horse traffic traveled on the left side of the road as it did in England. By the late 1700, so it is told temsters driving large wagons pulled by several pairs of horses began prompting to shift to the right side. A driver would sit on the rear left horse in order to wield his whip with his right hand. To see opposite traffic clearly, the teamsters traveled on the right side.
Changes in our lifestyles sometimes mean familiar icons are no longer visible. Businesses disappear from our environment. Public pay phones are no longer available. The phones used now are portable and most everyone carries one. Less and less phones remain attached to a landline in our homes. The small family owned forty to fifty cow dairy farms are almost extinct.
Located across from the Seneca Casino on I-86, Salamanca is a rare find. Located on Fancher Avenue is a small dairy farm where the cattle are still milked in tie stalls.Dairy farms like this are a rare find. It is considered a family dairy with approximately 100 cows that are still milked in tie stalls. The cattle are still turned outside to graze.
Squadron Launches a Co-ordinated Plan of Search for Lost C-46; Sheriff's Craft Also Sent Out The Air Force's Air Rescue Swuadron today established a headquarters at Buffalo Airport and launched a co-ordinated plan of search for the C-46 airliner which vanished Saturday night on a nonscheduled flight from Pittsburgh to Buffalo.
List of Persons Aboard C-46 Washington, Dec 31- Following is a arevised list of persons aboard the C-46 transport plane which left Pittsburgh for Buffalo Saturday night. The names were given to the Civil Aeronautics Board by airline officials, and additional information was given by friends of those aboard:
Crew Capt. J. C. Webber, pilot in command. Co-pilots Gus Athas and H.E. Rutzebeck. Capt. Victor Harris, also aboard. Stewardesses Pearl Moon, Dolores Beshears, Dolored Harvey. All crew members were from Miami, Fla.
As we find records of early residents who were awarded Land Warrants for their military service or received pensions we will add their information to the roster. What we have noted: the pensions came very late in the lives of those who had served in the Revolutionary War and the War of 1812. Those listed to date were well into their late 70 years of age before pensions were issued.
In the earliest of days of settlement in Cattaraugus County wolves, bear, wild cats and other wildlife caused considerable damage or total destruction to crops and killed farm animals. Bounties were placed on these dangerous animals throughout the townships of the county. This provided settlers with an opportunity to accumulate some much needed money. The effort was so successful that many of the animals, especially wolves were hunted to near extinction.
Culture and arts enthusiasts of the Twin Tiers surely are familiar with the career of Bradford, Pa.-born opera star Marilyn Horne, but the area reared another opera talent of note: Beverly Bower, a soprano who once sang the lead at the first performance in the new Metropolitan Opera House at Lincoln Center.
The Great Valley Hotel, built about 1838, was also known through the years as the Plank Road House by Able Hicks, the Halfway House on the northern stagecoach route, The Fenton Hotel, and The Harrison House. A fire in the late 1800's caused the removal of the back wing.
Tragedy in Napoli Author with local ties chronicles 1951 Napoli Plane Crash
NAPOLI - When a seasoned journalist came to the area to research his family's genealogy, he stumbled upon a story he'd never heard of and no family member had spoken about. That story topped national headlines in December 1951.
Trash and Treasure, the newest business to open really adds a touch of nostalgia to the area. Anyone who grew up in East Otto always saw this building as an active part of the community. The photo of the building was taken in 1913.
Both Everts 1879 and Adams 1893 History of Cattaraugus County, New York recounts the formation of an Anti-Slavery Society in the village of Ellicottville in 1836 which caused quite a stir. Despite the fact that Adams noted that the conservative population of the village outnumbered the anti-slavery element 50 to 1, it is apparent that the society continued on its mission.
In September of 1839, the following notice was published in the Cattaraugus Republican (Ellicottville) Newspaper:
This building started in 1886 as Frederick Smith, Dry Goods. It later became Edward Smith General Merchandise where a delivery of groceries to Vandalia in Ed Smith's time involved an overnight stay before the return trip to Allegany.
Next cam Smith & Scultz General Merchandise, owned by two employees of Ed Smith, Clarence Smith and Howard Schultz. Smith's Department Store, owned by Clarence Smith followed then it was sold to Tom Geary, who ran Geary's Early American Shop, where he sold furniture.
This building began as the Dye Brothers Bank in 1890. Then it became the First National Bank, then the Allegany Meat Market owned by Frank Seyller. Later is turned into the Dornow Pharmacy, first owned by Karl Dornow and then by his son, Edwin Dornow, and his wife, Muriel. During this time there was a two-lane bowling alley on the second floo. Many of the local boys worked as pin spotters. This is depicted in the second photo above.
Crosby Dairy, currently Corner Café or Valero, route 16 Hinsdale. Today, many from the Olean area know Crosby's as a place to get a great ice-cream cone or milkshake, like years ago. Emmet Crosby and his son, Howard Crosby formed the Crosby Dairy Co. in 1921 at the farm on Gile Hollow Rd. In May 1932 a modern plant on route 16 opened where they produced milk, buttermilk, cottage cheese, American cheese and ice cream. Howard Crosby sold Crosby Dairy in 1966 to Sunnybrook Dairy.