Roads from Impassable to Improving

Early on the Township [of Lyndon ] was divided into sections and all the 'roads' therein were under the direction of path masters or overseers. These people directed the efforts of the residents on each road in maintaining them and making improvements and reported to a town commisssioner.

Very little money was involved and residents were expected to do their part. These early roads were little more than trails barely capable of supporting high-wheeled wagons. They became impassable in the spring thaws and evidence of that is still visible on several roads as well defined wagon ruts are located some 20 feet from both sides of the road showing how they "took to the fields" during extreme mud conditions.

By 1922 the first macadam roads were started. These were built of broken stone pounded flat by men with mauls. In later years they were black topped. Only the county roads received this treatment and the town roads were still basically gravel and dirt. The worst spots would receive some [additional] gravel.

Ater 1928 some state aid was offered but only if the roads were maintained to the 'Erwin Plan' which specified road widths and construction methods. This resulted is truly all-year roads, which could be kept plowed.

Information submitted by Sidney Emmons, Lyndon Town Historian


Tags: Tag Municipality: