Judge Brooks’s home was built in 1840 and destroyed by fire in 1920. Note the waterway near the home, a frequent way for runaway slaves to travel.
From an article in The Chronicle-Journal, named "County Historian Traces County's Underground R.R." on March 12, 1954. It states:
"Most of the slaves left the Allegany River in the vicinity of Ceres, where they left the boats and came to Olean. A few stayed in Olean, but most of them went to Pleasant Valley to the home of Judge James Brooks where they stayed until night to be taken to the next station on their way to Canada.
The Brooks Home was known as the 'House of Refuge.' It was built in 1840 and destroyed by fired in 1920.
Read more about Judge James Brooks.