This is the third school building to stand on the Public Square. Constructed in 1887-1888, the current building stands on the foundation stones taken from the old county jail that used to be where the current Ellicottville Post Office is. It is a handsome example of Romanesque Revival architecture, the only civic struture in the village built in this style.
Notable features include the rounded archway over the recessed front entrance and the stone detailing around the windows and doorways. After it ceased to function as a school in 1978, concerned citizens avoided the potential demolition of this important landmark by purchasing the building. It then housed rental spaces, the public library and a gymnasium for public use until purchased by a Canadian, the building has jest been acquired by a corporation and plans for it's use has not been publicly announced.
Source: Portions were from the leaflet "Historic Ellicottville- a self-guided Walking Tour through the historic village of Ellicottville, NY".