Wilson Butcher Knife
Founded by William W. and James H. Wilson
Little Valley, New York
Born in Perth, Ontario, the Wilson brothers migrated to Little Valley by 1869 and formed perhaps the first “official” cutlery manufacturing operation in Cattaraugus County. Based out of a barn on lower Fourth Street, the brothers were blacksmiths who focused on carriage building, harnesses, and forging dependable household knives. Very basic, with a short blade and wooden handle, Wilson Butcher Knife proved that domestic cutlery could compete with imports. J.B.F. Champlin was impressed with the brothers’ offerings, reselling them under J.B.F. Champlin & Son, then recruiting William Wilson to work at the new Cattaraugus Cutlery factory on Mill Street, ending Wilson Butcher Knife by 1892.
Information provided by Brad Lockwood and Dean E. Case.