Ontario Knife Company
Founded by William B. Ensworth, Charles Albert Brace, and William Maudsley
Franklinville, New York
Originating in Naples, New York, in Ontario County – thus the company’s name – Ontario Knife Company found more space and waterpower at an old sawmill in Cadiz, outside of Franklinville, New York. In 1902, the growing company moved into Franklinville, with Empire State Cutlery Company buying-out the original stockholders and combining all operations under the Ontario Knife Company name in 1905. A new building on Empire Street opened in 1914 and is still used to this day, with the “Old Hickory” household line gaining fame and popularity, as well as quality sporting/outdoors knives, industrial and agricultural products. A major modernization and expansion was recently completed, and Ontario Knife Company is located at 26 Empire Street, Franklinville, New York.
Information provided by Brad Lockwood and Dean E. Case.