Founded by Jean, John D. and Andrew Case
Little Valley & Springville, New York
An exact date of the “official” start of Case Brothers Cutlery Company is elusive, as the four brothers were salesmen for their brother-in-law J.B.F. Champin and Cattaraugus Cutlery in the late 1880s while also running a jobber. Contracting with C. Platts & Sons Cutlery in 1896, their sales skills were so great that the brothers soon opened their own factory in Little Valley in 1900 to make their legendary hand-forged pocket, jack and fixed-blade knives. Massive growth and multiple factories would follow, until a fire destroyed the Little Valley factory in 1912. Feuds over commissions and control also played roles in the demise of Case Brothers, as Jean’s sons Dean and Elliott Case left to form Standard Knife Company, nephew Russ Case left to form W.R. Case & Son (later “Sons”), John D. left to form John D. Case & Sons in Case Brothers’ in Kane, Pennsylvania. Andrew left to form Case Manufacturing, later becoming a minority owner of W.R. Case & Sons as well as Union Cutlery Company aka KA-BAR. Rebuilding and over-expanding in Springville, Case Brothers struggled with debt until officially closing in 1915. Its famous “Tested XX” trademark was acquired by W.R. Case & Sons and is used to this day.
Information and photo provided by Brad Lockwood and Dean E. Case.