C. Platts & Sons
Founded by Charles Platts and his five sons, H.N. Platts included
Gowanda, New York
Charles Platts was a master cutler from Sheffield, England, recruited by J.B.F. Champlin to run his new Cattaraugus Cutlery factory in Little Valley by 1891. His son H.N. Platts served as supervisor, and married Debbie Case in 1892. The Platts family would open a factory in Gowanda, with their primary customer being the upstart jobber Case Brothers, quickly outgrowing the Gowanda factory and moving to Eldred, Pennsylvania. When Charles suffered a heart attack and passed in 1900, the respected cutlery company was renamed C. Platts’ & Sons, later known as Platts Brothers. H.N. eventually joined his brother-in-law Russ Case at W.R. Case & Sons before forming Western Cutlery in Boulder, Colorado.
Information and photo provided by Brad Lockwood and Dean E. Case.