Old Quaker Store Museum at Allegany State Park

Although a convenience store for campers existed from the beginnings of Allegany State Park in 1921, the building now housing the Old Quaker Store Museum did not.

A small souvenir shop and museum, located nearby, was operated from 1923 to 1930 by Edwin Countryman, the most colorful of the early entrepreneurs. Hamilton Ward, chairman of the Allegany State Park Commission, made a motion at the April 12, 1924 meeting that the Commission establish two stores and a restaurant for the camping public. The matter was referred to Parks Commissioner, John B. McCabe. Approval for construction of this building came at the February 1925 commission meeting. The building was erected during the spring of 1925 at a cost of $4,873.33, and opened on Saturday, June 13, 1925. More at EnchantedMountains.com




ASP Route 3
Red House, NY 14783

Tag Municipality