Town of Freedom was formed from Ischua in 1820 and in 1844 was reduced in size by the annexation of a portion to the Town of Yorkshire.
The first contracts for land purchase were entered into with the Holland Land
County in 1809. Settlers came in 1811. The soil is of good quality, well
adapted to grazing, dairying, fruit culture and other agricultural pursuits.
Cheese making and maple sugar production were the leading source of income.