The territory encompassing the Town of Dayton was annexed from Perrysburg in
1835. A watershed, on the northeast corner of the Town, flows towards
Cattaraugus Creek onto the St. Lawrence River. The southern portion of the Town,
by way of Conewango Creek, drains into the Allegany River.
Paying eighteen shillings an acre, the first settles arrived to stay in 1810,
followed by the building of the first saw mill in 1817. At the Town's organization
in 1835, there were 3 saw mills, a tannery and a population of 1,114.