Constructed in 1829, replacing a log courthouse and jail built in 1820, this impressive Federal Period building once served as the Center of Cattaraugus County Government. In 1868, the County Seat was transferred to Little Valley because Ellicottville lacked railroad services. The town of Ellicottville purchased the building to use as the Town Hall. Until the turn of the 19th century, plays, concerts, lectures and other forms of entertainment were held on a stage installed on the second floor.
A fire havily damaged the building in 1969. Saved from demolition by a determined group of citizens, the exterior was restored to its' original appearance and the fire-gutted interior was fully remodeled. In 1973 the building was placed on the National Register of Historic Places. It is now the center of both Town and Village governments.