Town of Allegany- Largest Town in Cattaraugus - from the Cattaraugus County History 1808-1995/96 book
- photo is of Ward's Hotel, Allegany, NY
Allegany, containing 46,607 acres, is the largest town in area in Cattaraugus County. On April 18, 1831, the Town of Burton, which included the present Towns of Allegany and Humphrey, was formed from Great Valley. The area of current day Humphrey was annexed from Burton in 1836. Town of Burton was renamed Town of Allegany on March 28, 1851, and includes part of the Allegany Indian Reservation.