This parcel of land used to belong to Frederick Wachter, who was a blacksmith. In 1912, a new church was built on this land, St. Paul of the Cross Catholic Church, which was the third church building to be erected in Dayton. Originally the church was next to the cemetery, but it was moved, therefore making the old church building a rectory for the priest. On January 10, 1943, as the train was on its way to Gowanda, the conductor saw a fire and began to blow his whistle, trying to wake the townspeople to go and fight the fire. The conductor continued on to Gowanda to get water, returned but by then it was too late. This rectory next to the cemetery was lost.